- Maintenance of industrial peace.
- Enforcement of Labour Laws.
- Ensuring Minimum Wages to the workers. ·
- Settlement of industrial Disputes and Complaints.
- Publication of Awards/Judgments by Labour Courts.
- Providing compensation in case of fatal/non—fatal accidents on the job.
- Settlement of claim cases under Payment of Wages Act, Payment of Gratuity.
- Registration of Trade Unions.
- Certification of Standing Orders (Conditions of sen/ices for the workers).
- Regulation & Abolition of Contract Labour System.
- Registration of Shops & Commercial Establishments.
- Ensuring Equal Remuneration to female workers. ,
- Detect & Rescue child labour from all prohibited sectors and prosecute employers
- Identification, Release & Rehabilitation of Child Labour (NCLPs).
- Abolition of Bonded Labour System.
- Efficient collection and utilization of cess for the benefit of construction workers as well as providing of justice and social security to all sections of workers.
- Welfare of unorganized workers. .
- Compilation of Labour Statistics.
The main objectives are: -
- To ensure welfare of labourers
- To oversee increase in prosperity -
- To create healthy and cordial industrial relations between the labourers and employers
- To mediate in industrial complaints/disputes and ensure industrial peace.
- To ensure welfare amenities to all sections of workers in organized and unorganized sectors through enforcement of various labour laws.
- To provide relief and due benefits to labourers through judicial work.
- To eradicate child labour from the State of Assam.
- To enforce social security Acts including the Building and Other Construction Workers Act, 1996 & the Unorganised Workers Social Security Act, 2008.
- To generate revenue for the state by receiving registration fee under different labour laws.